Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sacrificial Love

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.  If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.  If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing." I Cor, 13:1-3

Lately, as I've asked Jesus  how I can be more effective for His Kingdom, He has answered me with two simple words: "love people".  Why is such a simple concept so hard for me to live out?  For one, I recognize that in order to love someone in a way they feel and accept love, I need to think about them and how they're wired.  Loving someone in a way I understand and receive love may not reach them at all.  They may never even know I'm trying!  I am challenged with the task of giving in a way the receiver understands and can accept.  My offerings are nothing without love.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.  But the greatest of these is love." 1 Cor. 13:13

Sacrificial Love-
"This is how we know what love is:  Jesus Christ laid down His life for us.  And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers." 1 John 3:16

What will I sacrifice today, in order to love someone?  Love is an essential factor in a relationship, but until sacrifice is required, it's almost meaningless.

No comments: