Our big boys, Ryley and Josiah, are with Jeremy right now on a much anticipated Boy Scout snowmachine/camping trip. This has left the three remaining Coke family members in an unusual, unprecedented situation. The guys left at 6:30 Wednesday morning and we expect them home around 4:00 today (Saturday). The first two days were super fun and relaxing for me. In fact, for the first time ever, I fed my kiddos cold cereal for dinner. And we ate it in front of the tv on tv trays while watching A Night at the Museum. But the third and fourth days, I must admit, have been super boring. I can't believe how different everything is around here. Here are several things I was concerned about. (I mentioned these to R and J before they left.)
1. I'd have to take the garbage out by myself. (Isaac's not tall enough to reach over the sides of the garbage trailer.)
2. I'd have to unload the dishwasher. (That's Josiah's morning chore.)
3. I'd have to clean the BOYS' bathroom! (yuck...that's Ryley's morning chore.)
Although the list does go on, I'm sure you're getting the idea. But I've found out that I had no need to worry.
1. I've yet to empty the garbage can. (The boys empty it once-a-day, usually.)
2. While we usually run the dishwasher twice-per-day when every one's home, I've only run it once-a-day and even then, it's about 3/4 full.
3. Cleaning the boys' bathroom is a breeze when you only have ONE boy missing the target.
I really miss my guys.
Just now, I overheard the following conversation. (Isaac and Anna just came in from outside and they are enjoying hot cocoa together.) At the risk of appearing, um, un-p.c., I'll write it exactly as it was spoken. (Unlike a true media reporter.)
Is Barack Obama a Christian?
Well, I heard him on the radio once.
Does Barack Obama lie?
We wanted Sarah Palin.
*******************(okay, I did it...I edited for content. I'm trying to be wise, here. If you really want to know what else was said, give me a call and I'll tell you, over my corded wall phone...)
Because we wanted Sarah Palin.
No, we wanted the guy with the white hair.
Sarah Palin was gonna work for him.
Yeah. Why doesn't that guy ever talk?
Hey, how many marshmallows do you have left?
I have a green and a pink.
Do you need a spoon? I need a spoon.
As I sit here, I can't help but wonder how that conversation would have changed if their older, more enlightened brothers were partaking.