Friday, April 29, 2011

Copy-Cat Lara Bars (gluten-free! dairy-free! corn-syrup free!)

Have you tried the Lara bar?  There are several varieties from which to choose.  Although I haven't tried them all, my favorite so far is the Peanut Butter and Jelly bar.  As a gluten-free family (for 9 years now) and health conscience mom, I am always on the look-out for healthy packaged snacks and treats.  There aren't many. 

 And in the rare event that I find something, it is usually astronomically priced.  I've only bought a few Lara bars, and only when on sale (buy-one-get-one-free), but my kids and I love them.  I love the fact that they contain very few ingredients,  (the pb&j version only has three!) which made them very easy to make.  I also love that they are high in fiber and protein.
All you need to make your own is:

peanuts                                Mix them up in a Vita-mix and squeeze into bars!
dates
dried fruit (I used cherries)



3 comments:

DeLong House said...

I can't help to notice the 90% Costco picture. You know we sell dates too!

Sarah said...

It's a 50% Costco picture. I didn't get to buy the Vita-Mix there because I bought it before Costco sold them. I looked for dates and there weren't any; however, I WAS shopping at "the other" Costco.

www.apronsandapples@blogspot.com said...

These look yummy. I personally do NOT Like PB and J but my kids do. I will try another combo though. Today I just made lemon copy cat lara bars Just dates 1 cup, walnuts 1 cup, sesames seeds1 cup and 1/4 cup lemon juice! YUMMY My kids would have devoured all of them had I not stopped them. Oh yeah you roll them in coconut. I will be blogging soon on a bunch of energy bar copy cats I have found all over. I will be sure to include yours! LONG LIVE THE homemade kitchen! Kristy from www.apronsandapples.blogspot.com