Monday, November 10, 2008

Fun at the Land, and I'm Getting Old

Yesterday was so much fun. We were able to show off our land to some dear friends, Cody and Nikki. We crossed the creek and hiked up to the potential house site, played King of the Mountain (at least, Cody and the kids did!) and hiked up to the BIG tree that must be hundreds of years old. (The guys' hands could hardly touch!) Oh, and check out that ginormous burl on THIS tree! (below)


Then our friend Tom, from whom we bought the land, came over for a delicious dinner of gluten-free-battered-and-deep-fried halibut (Jeremy created the recipe and I'm so impressed every time he treats us with that!), Grilled Salmon, Spinach Salad, Rice, and Rhubarb/Blueberry Crisp with Yogurt. His manners finally got the better of him when, at 11 he could ignore Jeremy's and my yawning no more and our long conversation in front of the fire, sipping tea, came to a close.

You're by now, no doubt, wondering what all this has to do with my getting old. While Jeremy was frying halibut, he implored me to run up to the "little store" by our house (which now has a liquor store) and buy him a bit of beer. For the first time in my life...I didn't get carded.

4 comments:

sacra vim said...

Ooohhh!!! LOL! I haven't tried buying anything card-worthy in a while - I think we should get a bunch of us together and have a contest. (Those who don't get carded should have to buy!)

Elizabeth said...

I had to laugh about your getting carded!! Cute pics by the way. :D

Jill said...

What do you MEAN for the FIRST time in your life?????
Love, Mom H.

Anonymous said...

Those are really cool pics. I am going to have to go ahead, and request a copy of those. :)

Cody